In this week’s top stories: iOS 14 widgets go viral, Apple Watch Series 6 hands-on and impressions, fall 2020 iPad Pro rumors, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories.
iOS 14 debuted to the public on September 16, bringing a variety of new features to iPhone users such as the App Library and App Clips. Over the last week, however, home screen widgets have been the feature to go viral. You can read our full guide on how to give your iOS 14 home screen a custom aesthetic.
A rumor this week suggested that Apple will switch up the naming for the iPhone 12 lineup this year, introducing the iPhone 12 mini. This would be the 5.4-inch iPhone 12 model, while the other naming would be iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Over the last week, we also learned more about the Apple Watch Series 6. A teardown from iFixit revealed that the battery inside the Apple Watch Series 6 is actually slightly larger than the Series 5, with the 40mm size increasing by 8.5% and the 44mm increasing by 3.5%. Find more details from the iFixit teardown here.
For the first time ever, Apple’s Online Store debuted in India this week. This means that shoppers in India can now make purchases directly from Apple itself. Previously, shoppers in India were forced to exclusively on a network of channel partners like Apple Premium Resellers for sales and support. To learn more about how to purchase directly from Apple, a new “Ways To Buy” page is available.
Finally, a new investor note from Ming-Chi Kuo this week indicated that Apple will release its first mini-LED product in Q4 of this year, and it’ll be a new iPad Pro. This would mark the second iPad Pro refresh of 2020, but the update in March was largely an iterative update with slight performance improvements and a new camera setup on the back. Theoretically, the fall 2020 iPad Pro update could bring the new A14 processor alongside the mini LED display technology, in time for the holiday shopping season.
iOS 14 |
- How to give your iOS 14 home screen a custom aesthetic with unique app icons
- Apple releases iOS 14.0.1 with bug fixes for widgets, default app settings, more
- Here’s how to use the new iPhone home screen widgets in iOS 14
- iOS 14: What do the orange and green dots in the status bar mean?
- iOS 14: How to use 10 of the most popular new iPhone and iPad features
- Apple releases first public beta of iOS 14.2
- iOS 14 Weather app includes real-time precipitation data, more
- iOS 14: How to customize your home screen widgets with Smart Stacks and Siri Suggestions
- How to use the Shortcuts app to automatically create custom iOS wallpapers
- iOS 14: How to use the new iPhone alarms
- Apple no longer signs iOS 13.7, blocking downgrades from iOS 14
- Report: New 5.4-inch iPhone to be called ‘iPhone 12 mini’
- New claimed photos of iPhone 12 braided cable
Apple Watch |
- First impressions of seamless Solo Loop Apple Watch band are good
- Apple Watch Series 5 vs. Series 6: Should you upgrade?
- Apple Watch Series 6 Diary: How I’m making my upgrade decision
- Apple Watch Series 6 Diary: Graphite hands-on and battery life tests
- Hands-on: Product (RED) Apple Watch Series 6 and the new Braided Solo Loop
- Bandbreite makes browsing watch bands more fun than Apple Watch Studio
- PSA: If you have an Apple Watch Sport Band, here’s a better approach to Solo Loop sizing
iPad and Mac |
- First Apple product with miniLED backlighting will be iPad Pro in Q4 – Kuo
- Logitech‘s new MX Anywhere 3 mouse for Mac looks like a great WFH companion
- Apple’s miniLED plans: 30-40% of iPads and 20-30% of MacBooks next year – Kuo
Top Apple stories, retail |
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- The Apple Store online is now available in India
- Today at Apple and Girls Who Code hosting virtual Sisterhood Story Sessions in October
- QR codes bring helpful context to the Apple Store experience
- Hands-on: Widgetsmith brings ultra-customizable widgets to your iOS 14 home screen
- Launcher 5 lets you create custom iOS 14 widgets with different shortcuts
- TuneTrack app brings Spotify widget to your iOS 14 home screen
- Fantastical adds 12 home screen widgets for iOS 14, Scribble support on iPad, more
- iOS 14 widgets leads Pinterest to break its daily App Store download record
- Heart Analyzer for iPhone and Apple Watch adds iOS 14 widget, blood oxygen data, more
- All-new Outlook for Mac app coming in October with Big Sur-inspired design and more
- 1Password launches virtual credit card generator for safer online payments
- Marvis Pro brings custom Apple Music widgets to your iOS 14 home screen
Apple TV |
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- Apple TV+ picks up its first Emmy, Billy Crudup awarded outstanding supporting actor for his role in The Morning Show
Top Apple stories, company |
- Epic, Spotify, Tile and more form Coalition for App Fairness
- Apple responds to antitrust pressure with App Store PR blitz
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on with the top 10 iOS 14 features for iPhone [Video]
- iPadOS 14 – 50+ Top Features and Changes! [Video
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Sponsored by Direct Mail: Create and send great looking email newsletters with Direct Mail, an easy to use email marketing app for the Mac. Get started for free and save 10% when you sign up for any pricing plan.
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Sponsored by Pillow: Pillow is an all-in-one sleep tracking solution to help you get a better night’s sleep. Download it from the App Store today.
Stacktrace Podcast |
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.